Infinity Supercritical 5L Fast Filter Comparison to the 630 mm Filter Trolley from Italimpianti Orafi and Distributed by SamboCreeck
The goal of fast dewaxing is to remove wax after a botanical oil extraction has been combined with ethanol, then put into a freezer. The wax solidifies, then needs to be removed from the solution. The purpose of a dewaxing process is to remove the wax quickly (which normally takes a long time through a traditional Buchner filter and becomes a bottleneck in larger processing operations). The resulting filtered solution is botanical oil extract concentrate and ethanol. After dewaxing, the solution needs to be run through a rotary evaporator to complete the winterization process. Solutions can be run through multiple times for oil polishing.
The Filter Trolley uses a compressed air diaphragm pump (noisy air compressor needed), and has a larger filter bowl that can hold more liquid.
The issue with larger pours and holding is that the filter paper will get clogged fast, and it’s nearly impossible to use one paper filter for a pour more than a few liters. So while a large batch storage pour may seem attractive, the clogged filter becomes a issue.
Plus, the more solution that goes through a paper filter, the filter does its work, and accumulates wax, which prevents flow. That’s why it is recommended that anything more than a few liters of solution pour, you replace the inexpensive paper filter. Otherwise, the pour flow slows down, and the wax prevents flow. An overflow situation results in the filter becoming ineffective, and multiple pours of the same solution to filter out all the wax.
The Infinity Supercritical Fast Filter has a vacuum pump (built from off-the-shelf parts that are easy to replace if needed) and does not require any external air compressor.
Infinity has a stainless steel collection vessel, while the Filter Trolley does not provide a collection vessel, and is durable one-piece plastic construction. The Infinity Supercritical Fast Filter uses food grade HDPE for both the pour filter bowl, and the table top, which has the added feature of giving the operator work space to hold pour vessels, paper filters, and a working storage space. The Filter Trolley requires the operator to bend over to service the system, and an additional table to assist with the filter operation, while the air compressor is nearby.
While the Infinity Supercritical Fast Filter is twice as big for its footprint, it has a self-contained 110V vacuum pump, pump motor, VFD, and breaker, as well as the table top (which can be expanded to 10L pour dual bowl filters). The industrial cart has the signature Infinity powdercoat green caster beams and 5 inch swivel lockable casters. The frame is 100 percent recylable, and can easily fit through any standard door, hallway, or elevator.
Both systems can use paper filters, and other filter media, depending on the components you wish to filter or remove from the solution.
Infinity Supercritical has also identified the Fast Filter as a great candidate for filtering high tech materials, such as graphene, and other botanicals, such as Spirulina Algae.
PDF Review: 2018-fast-filter-vs-filter-trolley-review
24 inch (630 mm) FILTER TROLLEY BABF630 $7,150 (sold out) 60 Day Delivery Time
Review (price and performance data from their website):
24 inch (630mm) Holds 10 gallons (10:1 winterized solution) Filter Trolley
Made in Italy out of plastic (entire assembly and cart).
Once piece plastic construction has a on-board diaphragm pump, that requires a loud compressor to run (sold separately).
Operator User Experience:
– Must bend over to change fabric filter and liner.
– While liner goes into perimeter smoothly, it takes time.
– Requires the use of a external air compressor (noisy). At least 5 HP 80 gallon compressor at 100 psi.
– Diaphragm pump is around 70 dB.
– Exit hose needs to go to separate collection vessel (not included).
– Since only one filter is used per batch, the filter quickly gets clogged, which slows the rate of filtration. They suggest starting at 45 micron, then going down the filter size, so it doesn’t clog. They Quote: Vacuum assist increases speed. It takes time for solution to percolate down and work its way through the pipes and pump. It may be 3-5 minutes before the first filtrate makes it out. Our machines are safe to clean with pure or diluted Nitric, Hydrocloric, and Sulfuric acids as well as Caustic Soda. 70 dB, yes it is loud. When you feel the filtration speed is too slow, probably at 10-20% of when the paper was new. So if you started at 4 liters per minute and now the flow rate is under a liter, it will soon be time to change the paper before it totally clogs up. Manufacturing time is 60 days so you can expect your filter to be delivered in under 90 days if by air and 120 days if by sea. (unquote)
24 inch (630 mm) For Filter Trolley
Filter Paper: 615 Grade 25 Micron 630 mm in quantity of 100: $315
Filter Paper: 615 Grade 25 Micron 630 mm in quantity of 1000: $2100
Performance: Grade 615 / 25 Micron / 20 Lbs / White Creped / 235 mls/min / 8.68 gal/hr
630 mm Filter Cloth quantity of 1: $50 (may reuse)
Note: 600mm+ filter paper is extremely hard to find on Amazon.
20 inch (50 cm) FAST FILTER 5L $9,999 In-Stock Ready to Ship From Infinity Supercritical
20 inch (50 cm) Continuous Pour of 1 Liter (10:1 winterized solution) Strip Paper Filter Before 5L
Made in USA in Ferndale, Washington out of industrial steel, aluminum, and food grade HDPE.
Cart mounted (table-top height) system has a on-board vacuum pump with parts that can be replaced from McMaster-Carr overnight.
Operator User Experience:
– Table top height for convenient paper filter change, and pouring.
– No sealing paper filter (strips off fast) and replaces simply by setting filter down on bowl.
– Silent operation.
– Collection vessel is conveniently mounted underneath table.
– Filter can visually be inspected and replace quickly. Does not clog if filter is replaced as filtration slows down.
– 5 liter pour in less than 5 minutes (filter paper will determine flow rate).
– System is easy to maintain and is a plug-and-play unit for 110V single phase.
Filter Paper (available on Infinity website for in-stock immediate delivery and at Amazon):
20 inch (50 mm)
Filter Paper: 615 Grade 25 Micron 50 cm in quantity of 100: $200
Filter supplies for the Fast Filter (50cm) filter papers from Infinity Supercritical direct (in stock) or order direct from Infinity Supercritical Website
(If you have a Drain Droyd and need 61 cm (24 inch filters) please indicate that in the notes section during ordering.)